The first PM missionaries came to Castleford from Pontefract in 1836. They held open air services, which by 1839 had become regular mission meetings. In 1841, there were enough members to start meeting in an old cottage on Leeds Road (now Wood Street).
The first chapel opened in 1843 in an old stone barn at the junction of what became Albion Street, Church Street and Carlton Street – where the Junction public house now stands. It cost £150 to buy and convert.
The 1850s were a time of religious revival in Castleford when, ‘some of the worst characters of the district were soundly converted’. That, and the rise in population, meant the old barn was bursting at the seams by 1860. After having an offer for a piece of land on Welbeck Street rejected, the Primitive Methodists paid 3s 3d per square yard for a plot on Bradley Street, where a purpose-built chapel and Sunday School opened in 1863, which cost them £1,390.
The chapel was extended in 1879, and completely rebuilt in 1908, after a fire broke out at a bazaar and gutted the 1863 building.
Education was important, and a separate Sunday School was built in 1870. By 1876, there was a Young Men’s Improvement Society at Bradley Street, which was clearly still in existence in the 1930s.
The Lagentian – Episodes from Castleford’s History https://castlefordhistory.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/a-true-phenomenon/