Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire

This small rural chapel was built in 1850

Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire
Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire
Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire
Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel North Yorkshire
1850 Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel  as it was in 2002 | Keith Guyler 2002
1850 Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 2002
Keith Guyler 2002

Claxton is a small village off the A64  eight miles north east of York. It is an ancient village being twice mentioned in The Domesday Book.

The Primitive Methodist Chapel is a delightful building and in 2014 has been converted to a house. Date of closure as a place of worship is unknown.

Photos taken February 2014

OS Map Ref:100:SE694601

Comments about this page

  • The Borthwick Institute (part of York University):

    Ref. MR/CLAX: Claxton Primitive Methodist Chapel Records, c.1851-1932/3, 1934. Further documents deposited from c.1933/4. The Chapel closed in 2007.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (01/06/2018)
  • The Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1852 pp. 362-363 contains an account by Jeremiah Dodsworth of the opening and first anniversary services at Claxton Primitive Methodist chapel in the York circuit. The chapel seated 100 people and cost £84, £30 of which was still owing, borrowed on a note at 4%.

    Writing about the anniversary celebrations on Sunday April 18th 1852, Mr Dodsworth reveals that “many souls have been converted therein since its opening in March 1852”. Thanks were voted to Anthony Walker, Moses Walker, G Dring (“since converted to God”) and the others who did the brickwork and building “free of expense”; to Mr Gascoigne who supplied the iron work, also free; to R Dring for gifts of lime; to John Beal and others for carting the materials free of cost; to Leeman and Clark, solicitors of York  for work without fee; to ladies who provided trays for the tea meeting.

    Messrs Gascoigne and Walker did much of the canvassing to raise funds in neighbouring villages. The tea meeting initially planned to follow the opening was postponed for a year; hence the account did not appear in the magazine until 1852.

    By Christopher Hill (07/02/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *