When they decided to build their first chapel, the Primitive Methodist society in Colne Bridge obtained 4 cottages and replaced three of them with their chapel.
H Leigh in the Primitive Methodist magazine tells that the opening services for the new chapel took place on September 2nd and 9th 1849. Opening preachers included PT Lazarus (professor of Hebrew), T Penrose, Mrs E Blackburn and H Leigh.
The new chapel measured 36′ x 30′ and cost around £400 toward which they had raised around £110.. Donors included .J North Circuit Steward) , Messrs Haighs, J Preston, Misses MA Lockwood, S Holroyd, Mrs Whately and J Tolson,
The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows two chapels on Colne Bank Lane: a Free United Methodist chapel on the south side and an unidentified chapel on the river bank close to Colne Bridge itself. Was that the Prim chapel?
Primitive Methodist chapel page 694 1849