Cotherstone has had places of worship for Anglicans, Religious Society of Friends, Congregationalists, Wesleyans – and for the latter part of the nineteenth century, Primitive Methodists.
Raymond Ella has informed us that the professional press covered the opening of the chapel.
The Building News & Engineering Journal, vol. 5, page 648, July 15th 1859 :
The opening of a Primitive Methodist chapel at Cotherstone, Yorkshire, newly erected in connection with the Barnard Castle Circuit, took place 2nd. inst.
Unlike all the other Primitive Methodist chapels in Teesdale, this one was actually registered for worship from the start. The cause seems to have ceased some time between 1890 and 1914. Bulmer’s Trade Directory of 1890 notes it, whereas ‘A history of the county of Yorkshire: North Riding, Volume 1’ (1914) lists all the chapels in the village but this one. We know where it was, but perhaps someone will be able to fill in the story.