The Primitive Methodist chapel in Dalton, four and a half miles from Thirsk, opened on August 4th and 5th 1850. when the preachers were H Thompson and J Simpson of Easingwold. Previously they had met in the village school room.
The chapel measured 27′ x 24′ x 14′ and its construction was overseen by Mr J Meek. It was “palisaded with iron at the front and the windows are circular which give it a beautiful appearance.”
It cost £131 in total of which they had raised all but £73/8/10. Dr Tensdale of Easingwold and Mr W Meek were significant donors.
The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows the Primitive Methodist chapel on the left hand side of the road west of the village church. The label disappears by the 1912 map and by 1978 the same building footprint is labelled as post office – although the field behind it is now labelled Chapel Garth. The chapel building still exists as the village post office, and Street View shows it as still retaining a commemorative tablet, although the lettering no longer exists.