Drax Primitive Methodist chapel
Main Rd, Drax, Selby YO8 8NT
The opening of Drax Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1867.
“Drax—At this place, which is seven miles from Selby, we had in September, 1864, eight members. The chapel stood in a back lane, and had a cracked front, which was supported by a wooden buttress. The congregations were very small, and the place was missed by local preachers eight Sunday nights during the September quarter ! God, however, sent prosperity ; the chapel was soon well attended, and in nine months our members increased to 20.
Having obtained trustees for a new chapel, £24 6s. was given for 108 square yards of land in the best situation for our purpose in the village. The foundation stone was laid July 20th, 1865, by Messrs. John Wood and Frederick R. Pease, who had recently joined us, and who have in different ways given £20 towards the erection.
The opening services commenced November 26th, 1865, and concluded January 14th, 1866. The Revs. C. Kendall, G. Lamb, T. Newsome, J. R. Parkinson, R. Cheesman, J. Mules, M. Graves, and the writer took part in these delightful services.
The chapel, which was designed by Mr. J. Wright, of Hull, is almost a model one, and is 36 feet by 25 feet, and 14 feet from the floor to the ceiling. It is lighted by eight circular headed windows, which are glazed with coloured and obscured glass. Tho pews are all elevated, and fitted up with book boards and inclined backs ; and altogether, with the free seats, will comfortably seat 170 per sons. Instead of a pulpit there is a platform, ‘with circular front and a communion rail of similar form. The whole of the fittings are red deal, stained and varnished. The walls are brick, with stone dressings. The roof is slated and spouted with iron spouts on a brick cornice. The building has a frontage of 36 feet to the main road, enclosed with iron palisades.
The total cost of the chapel, with clock, lamps, &c., is £297, towards which, with £20 from the old chapel funds we have raised £167. Nearly all the sittings are let, and the chapel is likely to do well. We have commenced a Sabbath school, which is prosperous.
The chapel, which was on Main Road, was separated from the Wesleyan chapel (which still exists, although not in use) by what is now the Huntsman pub. The Prim chapel has been replaced by housing.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 June page 375