Driffield Primitive Methodist Chapel, East Riding
George Street YO25 6RA
The first PM chapel in Driffield was built in Mill Street in 1821. It was enlarged in 1856, altered in 1865, and demolished in the 1980s.
It was replaced by a magnificent and imposing chapel, in George Street, in 1873. It cost £5,000, including the organ and furniture, and there was still a debt of £1,600 remaining on it in 1892.
This chapel was described as ‘a large and handsome edifice of brick with freestone dressings, in the Norman style’. The front was flanked by a tower. Inside, there was a gallery, with pitch pine pews to seat 1,000 people. The large windows were filled with ‘cathedral glass’ surrounded by a coloured border.
On the south wall there was a marble monument to Thomas Wood, who was for 60 years a member, and died in 1881, at the age of 85.
Adjoining were two school-rooms, nine class-rooms, a preacher’s room, and committee room.
The chapel closed in 1964, and is seen here in 1999, a shadow of its former self, being used as a warehouse for Pocklington Carpets.