Fimber Primitive Methodist chapel
Sledmere Road, Fimber YO25 9LY
In the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine there is an account of the opening of the Primitive Methodist chapel at Fimber.
The name and the building disappear from Ordnance Survey maps between 1959 and 1978.
Here’s the account:
“Chapel Opening, Fimber, Driffield Station. — Fimber is a small but picturesque village, eight miles from Driffield. About forty years ago it was first visited by brother G. Bullock, of Wetwang, and other Primitive Methodist preachers, when a society was formed, and afterwards a rented room was taken for its use. This room having become too small, preliminary arrangements were made by the Revs. E. Tyas, W. Coulson, and their colleagues for the erection of a new chapel.
This chapel having been finished, was dedicated to the worship of God on October 4th, 1863, and following days, by a series of services, in which the Revs. W. Whitby, Hull, H. Knowles, Bridlington, G. Watson, Swinefleet, J. R. Parkinson, W. Gledhill, and C G. Honor, Driffield, Mr. H. Wilson, Langtoft, and Mr. R. Belt, West Lutton, took part.
The situation of the chapel is very good, and its exterior and interior appearance very creditable. It is about 30 feet in length by 26 in width, and 15 feet high from the boarded floor to the ceiling. It is lighted by seven circular-headed windows, which are filled in with opaque glass. To increase the comfort of the worshippers, the backs of the pews are made to recline, and a neat platform has been erected for speakers at public meetings or preaching services.
The total costs of the chapel amount to £180, of which sum about £95 have been collected or promised. The thanks of the trustees are hereby tendered to T. Horsley, Esq., for granting the site; to the ladies for providing tea for 250 people; to Mr. P. Knaggs, Wetwang, for a donation of £5 ; to the farmers for gratuitously carting the materials ; and to all other friends who have in any way rendered their assistance, while to God, the Everlasting Father, be ascribed ceaseless praise. James B. Parkinson”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 pages 112-113