Flaxton Primitive Methodist church

Rice Lane Flaxton YO60 7RJ

The religious census of 1851 says that the average attendance at Flaxton Primitive Methodist chapel over the preceding year had been 40 people.  It could hold 90 people. The report was submitted by Thomas Calvert, trustee and steward.

The Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1852 contains an account by Jeremiah Dodsworth of the re-opening of Flaxton Primitive Methodist chapel in the York circuit. A small chapel was opened in 1826  and was transferred into the ownership of the Connexion in 1850. By then it was in a “somewhat dilapidated state, without funds and under a burden of £50 debt”, so it was closed for repainting and other renovation, re-opening on 4th April 1852 with sermons by Messrs Crabtree (Pickering) and Leigh (Easingwold).

They were determined not to add to the outstanding debt and donations were obtained from Messrs Peacock, S Calvert, J Wood, Richard, T, W and Robert Esh, Mrs Smithson “and her fatherless boy”  and Mrs Brough. Six of the names donors were the surviving sons and daughters and sons of Robert Esh; Master Smithson was his grandson. Robert Esh was one of the principal trustees of the chapel.  The article includes a description of Robert Esh’s death bed conversations with his children.

The chapel was closed around 1925 and sold in the 1930s.

On Google Street View in 2011 it appears that the village hall is located on the site.


Primitive Methodist magazine June 1852 pp. 363-364


Comments about this page

  • Borthwick Institute Archives (Historical Research, part of York University):

    Ref. MR/FPM: (1 box) Flaxton Primitive Methodist Chapel, first built 1826, closed c.1925, later sold. Various Records from c.1915, also on microfilm (Ref. MF1784) Circuit Baptisms, 1871-1900.

    By Raymond E.O.Ella (08/04/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.