Garsdale Street Primitive Methodist Chapel West Riding of Yorkshire
Since 1974 the chapel has been in Cumbria but still remains within the boundary of the Yorkshire Dales National Park
This chapel sits on the main A684 and attached to it are 3 cottages. It is open for worship most weeks.
It is thought that two stone mason brothers built the chapel in 1841 and today it remains without alteration. Inside are painted box like tiered pews. In its early days public confessions were made from the ‘ penitents form’ which remains today in front of the pulpit.
The chapel is one of many chapels mentioned in a leaflet ‘Railways and Religion in the Western Dales’. Garsdale Street Chapel forms part of a trail of small chapels linked to the history of the railways.
Photos taken November 2016
OS Map Ref:98:SD748895