Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire

This Chapel was built and opened in 1871

Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire | Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire | Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire | Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
Elaine and Richard Pearce 2009
1871 Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999. The chapel originally dates from 1824 and closed in 1954. It became a workshop in 1989 | Keith Guyler 1999
1871 Garton-on-the-Wolds Primitive Methodist Chapel as it was in 1999. The chapel originally dates from 1824 and closed in 1954. It became a workshop in 1989
Keith Guyler 1999
former Garton on the Wolds Primitive Methodist chapel - still standing in 2019 | David Young April 2019
former Garton on the Wolds Primitive Methodist chapel - still standing in 2019
David Young April 2019

Garton-on-the-Wolds is three miles from Driffield. The Chapel was built in 1871 at the cost of £478. It is not known when it closed, but probably in the 1950’s. At some time it was converted into a workshop and was used for this purpose until the late 1999’s or early 2000’s.

In 2009 the chapel building was for sale as ‘developement land with planning permission for 5 dwellings’. Sadly, in 2013 the chapel building was still for sale, even with the same for sale notice board.

Photos taken August 2009.

OS Map ref:106:SE984594

Comments about this page

  • T Newsome writes in the Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1872 (pages 122 and 123) of the opening of the chapel.

    A plot of land at the side of the previous chapel was leased from Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere. The opening services concluded on October 10th 1871. The preachers included Revs J Shepherd, J Dawson, W Whitby, T Waumsley, Messrs J Wright, W Major, G Denney, , B Cooper, G Bullock, R Barr and D Railton.

    The new chapel seated 220 and had a school room underneath. It even boasted a large copper for tea meetings. The cost was £450 of which £250 was raised by the opening. Donors included J Atkinson, F Knaggs, Miss Railton and Mrs Jefferson. Mr W Brown did much of the work.

    By Christopher Hill (14/02/2019)
  • The chapel was opened 10 October 1871 and the  architect Joseph Wright

    By Colin Dews (02/03/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *