There were three Primitive Methodist chapels in Goole, with Dunhill Road Mission added around 1900. The first chapel was built in North Street in 1835 and remained in use until the end of the 19th century. The second was The Beulah Chapel, Old Goole, which was built 1865 and demolished in the early 1990s. Carlisle Terrace chapel opened in 1875 with a schoolroom added in 1891. The buildings were demolished in 1962.
The opening of Beulah chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1866 by E Talbot. Although no opening date is given, there is much detail. Peter Spence laid the corner stone on May 2nd 1865 with sermons by Revs T Greenbury, T Whittaker and S Gladstone. They had a celebration tea in William Clark’s shed.
The architect was William Wright of Hull. The chapel measured 42′ x 32′ and was expected to cost around £550.
The opening also had lots of sermons, tea in the Scientific Hall presided over by Captain Moody and a bazaar.
Couper Street no longer exists. It was one of the first streets in the area, on the west side of Swinefleet Road; the closest replication is Don Street
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 pages 120-121
Goole Civic Society (2012) A local list of heritage assets for the town of Goole: A proposal accessed online 06/04/2020 at https://www.goolecivicsociety.org.uk/assets/documents/local-list-2