Grange Moor Primitive Methodist chapel
Briestfield Road, Grange Moor, Wakefield WF4 4EG
There is an account by Thomas Crompton in the 1846 Primitive Methodist Magazine of the opening of Grange Moor Primitive Methodist chapel. It was in the Wakefield circuit.
The chapel – or its successor – is located on Briestfield Road. opposite the turning to Denby Lane (OS Grid Ref. SE2214616142) and you can see a picture here.
This is the account:
“Grange Moor.—A new chapel was opened at this place on June the 7th and 14th ; when sermons were preached by brothers J. A. Bastow, of Leeds, J. Simpson, of Huddersfield, and J. Crompton, of Wakefield. The services connected with the opening were attended with much Divine influence, the congregations were large, and, considering the circumstances of the people, the collections were liberal.
The chapel is 10 by 8 yards outside, and is built of stone with four arched, top opening windows. The south part of the interior has an elevated gallery, with six pews on each side of a central aisle, and the north part is seated with forms, affording accommodation for a Sabbath-school. The edifice stands in a very eligible situation, and is much admired as a neat building both in its internal and external appearance.
The whole cost will be about £140 ; towards which we expect to raise about £50 by the subscriptions and donations of friends and the collections made at the opening.
Our people have laboured fifteen years at Grange Moor, and have long needed a chapel for preaching and school purposes. In this respect the Lord has helped us, and we are thankful. The erection is likely to prove very advantageous to the surrounding inhabitants, as there is not another chapel or school room in the neighbourhood.
We hereby tender our thanks to all the friends who have aided us in this important undertaking. May the Holy Spirit be soon plenteously poured upon the society, the children and the people at large ; may the divine word, preached in this newly-erected sanctuary, become the power of God unto the salvation of many precious souls ; may it be a place where hundreds shall be born of God, and may it be a nursery where the rising generation shall grow up (from being tender plants) to trees of righteousness, to bloom and flourish forever in the garden of the Lord. Thomas Crompton”
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1846 page 631