Great Broughton Primitive Methodist chapel
High Street, Great Broughton, MIDDLESBROUGH, TS9 7EG
In Northern Primitive Methodism (1907) WM Patterson comments: “The courage of the Broughton band of two dozen members is remarkable, and ought to bring them great reward. Their old chapel, built in 1859, has been superseded by a good village sanctuary. It will seat 160, and £540 of the cost (£800) was raised when the doors were opened in November, 1907.”
The village was first missioned by Clowes in 1821 and the first chapel was opened on June 26th 1859. The opening is reported in the Primitive Methodist magazine by E Greenwood. Speakers at the opening included J Allerton (Hernsby), Rev H Pratt, E Brock, E Wright, N Ransom, T Bell, M Myers, GT Wallace (Independent) and E Greenwood.
The new chapel held 120 and cost only £54 because the site given by T Carter. Towards that, an encouraging £33/10/0 had been raised. It was located on the opposite side of the road to the 1907 chapel just south of High Street , next to the Jet Miners Inn, behind where Anvil House is currently located.
The chapel is still open in 2015.
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1859 page 557