Hackness Primitive Methodist chapel
The foundation stone for Hackness Primitive Methodist chapel was laid by Mrs C Kendall, the minister’s wife on June 24th 1859. Speakers at the opening included Revs G Shaw, G Watson and C Kendall.
Rev Kendall reports the actual opening in the magazine of February 1860.
We have recently erected and opened a little chapel at this place. We were assisted at the dedication of this sanctuary by Messrs T. Stephenson, and W. Dobson, from Pickering Circuit. The chapel will seat about 100 persons, and all the sittings are let. It has cost about £110, and we have raised nearly £70. The neatness and strength of the building are much admired. We wish to record our thanks to Sir J. V. B. Johnstone, Bart., M.P., for the gift of £10, and the stone with which to build the chapel.
On the 1:2,500 Ordnance survey map for 1892, a Primitive Methodist chapel is marked south of the village, at Wrench Green. It is still there in 1912 but has disappeared by 1928. Google Street View does not get near the location.
Primitive Methodist magazine August 1859 pages 503-504
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1860 page 114