Halifax Pye Nest Primitive Methodist chapel

Edwards Road, Halifax HX2 7DG

Halifax Pye Nest Primitive Methodist chapel

Halifax Pye Nest Primitive Methodist chapel was unusual in that the chapel came before the society existed.

The foundation stone was laid on July 27th 1901.  We are told in the 1902 Primitive Methodist magazine that “when it was started there was no society whatever and after the new premises had been opened a class of ten members was formed, three of them having previously belonged to Queen’s Road church. The building consists of a church and schoolroom and five classrooms.”

It was an innovation from the Queen’s Road society, led by Mr J Brearley, because there was no other church of any kind in the neighbourhood. Of the £3,000 cost one third came, interest free,  from the Church Extension Fund.

There is more detail in the magazine.

In 2020 the chapel is in use as a nursery. What’s the story?

Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1902 page 393-394

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.