The chapel in Queen’s road replaced the earlier chapel in Gibbet Street. The memorial stones were laid in 1890 and the new premises were to include chapel, school, lecture room, classrooms, infant classroom, and other facilities. As a major undertaking it was expected to cost around £6,000 including the cost of land, of which they had raised £4,000 by the memorial stone laying. They could also raise a bit more by selling part of the site they did not need for the new chapel.
In the end the total cost was £6,325 of which they had raised £4,540 by the opening. The new chapel accommodated 500 and the Sunday school premises held 600 scholars.
The 1914 Ordnance Survey map shows a large Primitive Methodist chapel on the northern side of the junction of Queen’s Road with Lemon Street. An even larger Sunday school is shown to the rear, on Lemon Street itself.
On Street View in 2018, both the chapel and the School accommodation still stand, although in neglected condition. Earlier Street View shows it in use as a Ukrainian Catholic church.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1890 page 635.
Primitive Methodist magazine October 1891 page 636.