Horbury Primitive Methodist Chapel
near Wakefield, Yorkshire
Ebenezer Chapel was built in 1875 at a cost of £3,310. The first chapel had been built in 1841, and the first Sunday-school building in 1859. In 1907, a new school was built at a cost of £3,329, with seating for 600. For more about the history of this chapel see Horbury Circuit.
A copy of a Primitive Methodist Hymnal was recently given to the British Heart Foundation in Scunthorpe. Inside is this inscription,
‘Primitive Methodist New Sunday Schools, Horbury. Presented by the Trustees to Mr & Mrs C F Stanger on the occasion of laying Memorial Stones, June 23rd 1906.’
It is signed by William Bennion (Minister), John Goldthorpe (Treasurer), W H Lawrence and D Cave (Secretaries).
added by CH Sept 2017
The first chapel was opened on September 23 1841. It measured 36′ x 31’6″, 25’6″ high and was stone-built. It cost £440. John Brownson describes the occasion in the Primitive Methodist magazine. Names he mentions include Mr Whitworth (Architect); Mr W Sanderson; Thomas Scales (Leeds); J. Sowerby (Flockton, Independents); Bro. T. Holliday; Mr Kilner (Independent); Bro. Brownson; Bro. W. Antliff; Bro. J. Verity; Viscount Morpeth; Viscount Milton; Hon. J.S. Wortley MP.
The article is transcribed by David Tonks in the attached document.
Primitive Methodist Magazine, 1842 March Pages 106-108