Hornsea Market Place Primitive Methodist chapel

Market Place, Hornsea HU18 1AW

Hornsea Primitive Methodist chapel
Christopher Hill September 2020
Hornsea Market Place Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 2000
Hornsea Primitive Methodist chapel World War 1 commemoration tablet
Christopher Hill September 2020

Hornsea Primitive Methodist Chapel is a contrast with the simplicity of rural chapels in the area.  Designed by Joseph Wright in the Italianate style, it is a red brick building, with white string-courses, ornamental cut stone dressings and topped by a pediment. In contrast with 21st century disability legislation, the vestibule is approached by a flight of wide stone steps. On the lower floor were the Sunday school and class rooms.

The chapel was built in 1864, at a cost of £1,250. A previous chapel, built in 1835, was taken down, and a house for the minister erected on the site.

After the chapel was closed in the 1980s, Keith Guyler notes that it was used as flats in 1990 but in 1999 became Market Place Pentecostal church.  Google Street View in 2010 shows it still in that use. In 2020 there is little sign of it being in current use.

There is an account by Thomas Holliday of the opening of the first chapel in the summer of 1835 in the Primitive Methodist magazine. The chapel, in the Driffield branch of the Hull circuit, was built on land given by Isaac Warcup and had 101 sittings with additional free ones.

Preachers at the opening were W Clowes, A Smith and Thomas Holliday.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1836 p.393


Comments about this page

  • Methodist Leader, 16th Jan., 1930.
    The Weekly Journal of the Primitive Methodist Church:
    Hornsea Church.
    Memorial Windows in front of the church over the gallery includes Mr. R. T. C. Morrison, organist for 22 years.
    The actual article can be read on page 43.
    Richard Thomas Clark Morrison ( 1861-1927 ).

    By Raymond E. O. Ella (23/08/2021)
  • Gratitude from H.M. Queen Victoria.
    DICTIONARY OF ORGANS AND ORGANISTS, publ. 1912, by H. Logan and Co., Bournmouth, ed. F. W. Thornsby, FIRST EDITION, page 311:

    T.R.C. Morrison, Music Repository, Hornsea, East Yorks. Born 1861 at Ripon. Trained at York School for the Blind. Music dealer and bookseller. Organist since 1905 at the Primitive Methodist Church, (etc.), Hornsea.
    T. R. C. Morrison composed songs and music, to include earlier a certain March named “The British National” for Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, whom he received congratulations.

    By Raymond E O. Ella (23/08/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *