Houses Hill Primitive Methodist chapel
Healey Green Lane HD5 0PB
The Primitive Methodist Magazine for February 1854 contains an account by W Bennett of the opening of Houseshill Primitive Methodist chapel in the Huddersfield circuit. It doesn’t actually state the date of opening, but is likely to have been late 1853.
The chapel “stands on a very eligible site of ground: is 11 yards by 10 yards within, and has nine circular windows which open at the top. Under the chapel is a good schoolroom and a neat cottage.”
The entire cost was around £400, of which they borrowed about £200, with “freewill offerings” from J North, J Tolson, A Sheard, J Blackburn, J Littlewood, Dr Gardener, J Beaumont (sen. and jun.), Messrs J Tolson and Sons, RH Tolson and W Hinchcliffe. Opening sermons were preached by T and W Bennett, J Dodsworth, Mrs Blackburn and R Robinson.
The 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map for 1893 shows that Houses Hill, a settlement with less than twenty houses, has both Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. By 1907 the Primitive chapel has disappeared, but the Wesleyan chapel is still there in 1961.
Primitive Methodist Magazine February 1854 pp112-113