Howgill (Barden) PM Chapel North Yorkshire.
This chapel was erected in 1836.
Howgill is a small village situated within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It is near Barden Towers on the Bolton Abbey Estate. The stone built PM chapel was once part of the Grassington circuit. It is thought to have closed in the 1990s and was converted into a house soon after.
Photos taken November 2013
OS Map ref:104 SE:060593
Editor’s note: [CH]: The Primitive Methodist magazine contains a note by Thomas Butcher about its opening when it was in the Grassington branch of the Silsden circuit. He describes it as having a beautiful rising gallery with 24 pews all let. It measured 28’6″ long by 28’6″ wide by 22′ high. Preachers at the opening were Bro H Ashworth and Sister Sarah Brayshaw as well as Bro Butcher.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1839 page 351