Hoyland Mount Tabor Primitive Methodist chapel
King St, Hoyland S74 9JU
The re-opening of Hoyland Primitive Methodist chapel in the Barnsley circuit on December 2nd 1860 is recorded in the Primitive Magazine by Robert Smith. As congregations and the Sunday school had been growing, it was necessary to lengthen the building and to add galleries. Celebrations included tea for 200.
Preachers included Miss Buck of Leicester, Mr. R. Wordsworth, of Hoyland, Mr. J. Ratcliffe, of Doncaster and Rev. Richard Baxter of Clayton West.
On Ordnance Survey maps from 1892 there is a Primitive Methodist chapel on King Street, almost opposite the end of Bethel Street, where Southgate joins now. Is this the enlarged chapel or a later one?
On the 1956 OS Plan the building is still labelled as Primitive Methodist with the name Mount Tabor. It has disappeared by the 1968-1976 plan, to be replaced by Southgate. The former United Methodist Bethel chapel on the corner of Bethel Street also disappears at this time.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1861 pages 118-119