Hull Bright Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Holderness Road, Hull HU8 7NX
Primitive Methodists built several chapels around Holderness Road. The impressively large Bright Street chapel which seated 1,200 souls, opened in 1865. Bombing in 1941 damaged it and by 1954 it was derelict. It was demolished in 1959/60 and the site of a car showroom.
The Primitive Methodist magazine contains accounts of the foundation stone laying and opening which are too long to include fully here, but give some idea of the momentum that the Prims had in Hull at the time.
“Hull Second Circuit. —Foundation stone laying.—You will rejoice to hear that we are providing extended chapel accommodation to assist in meeting the spiritual necessities of the rapidly increasing population of Hull. The Primitive Methodists have now laboured for the moral and religious benefit of the inhabitants of Holderness-road, and the neighbourhood, for about forty years; and this too under serious disadvantages for want of a suitable chapel and school rooms. The rented chapel and premises which they now occupy in Holborn-street, are inconvenient, and, in other respects, unsuitable.
After diligent inquiries, frequent disappointments, and long delay, the society at length succeeded in securing an eligible building site, on which they are now erecting a spacious chapel, school rooms, vestries, &c. Preparatory sermons were preached by the Rev. C. C. M’Kechnie, of Allendale Town. The foundation-stone was laid on Monday, December 1st, by Henry Hodge, Esq. … …
The weather was very damp and cold, the procession from Clowes Chapel, nevertheless, and the gathering of people on the site of the intended new chapel, were unexpectedly large. In the evening a public and sumptuous tea was provided gratuitously by our female friends, who loaded the tables, as they are wont to do on such occasions, with a superabundance of provisions. About 70O persons partook of the social repast. After tea a public meeting was held in Clowes Chapel, when the attendance was gratifyingly large.”
… There then follows detailed accounts of the services and fundraising, including lists of contributors. …
“With general begging, opening services, and other means, we hope to obtain one third of the entire cost of the chapel and premises, which will involve an out lay of £4,000 or a larger amount. We calculate that these premises, which will be a freehold, and for which a Connexional Deed is already executed, will prove a very valuable acquisition to Hull Second Circuit. That God may crown the undertaking with his special blessing, and fill the sacred house with his glory, is the fervent prayer of W. Garner. “
“CHAPEL OPENING. We have recently opened our sixth chapel in Hull. It is situated on the Holderness road, and has long been needed by the society gathered together in that locality, as well as by the increase of the population in that district. It was designed by Mr. J. Wright, the architect of Springbank chapel.”
… …There is then a highly detailed description of the chapel, even as far as “the heating apparatus for tea-meetings” which was under the steps of the main entrance, and the whole of the basement being fitted up with gas. …..
“There are separate entrances to the schools and class-rooms on the east side of the building, where a new street is shortly to be made. Mr. W. F. Richardson, of Beverley, was the contractor. The cost, including site and boundary walls, is about £4,300. The Revs. S. Antliff, W. Sanderson, C. M’Kechnie, P. Milson, J. Spoor, H. Kendall, (Independent minister, Darlington) and several of the town ministers, and the Mayor, took part in the opening.
The collections were tolerably liberal, and our warm and staunch friend, H. Hodge, Esq., and some members of his family, doubled them, thus securing a handsome amount for the Trust Fund. We have raised about £1,300, and arranged for an additional sum to be secured. C. Kendall.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 308-309
Primitive Methodist magazine 1865 page 565