The 1889 Primitive Methodist magazine reports the laying of the memorial stones for a new chapel at St George’s Road in the Hull Fifth circuit. The ceremony took place on March 25th 1889. The new chapel was planned to accommodate 700 and a large proportion of the cost would be raised.
The new chapel was to replace the previous 1873 school-chapel on the site which was too small for the growing society.
The 1898 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that they are to build more accommodation for Sunday school work. The population in the area had grown rapidly.
The 1941 Methodist Statistical Return identifies this as a brick built chapel, seating 700 with three halls and 14 rooms. This chapel suffered bombing damage in WW2.
The chapel was located on the corner of St George’s Road and Beecroft Street. Beecroft Street which no longer exists was south of and parallel to Massey Street. The whole area south of Massey Street is now a large open green space.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1889 May 316
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1898 page 714