Hull Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel
Anlaby Road HULL HU3 2RW
Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel on Anlaby Road was opened in 1871. Designed by architect Joseph Wright of Hull, it was very large, seating up to 2,000 people It closed in September 1959 because of falling congregations and was demolished around 1964 when the site was used for a garage.
Behind the church was a large board school which became the Sunday School. It was demolished around 1990.
It was located to the west of Hull Royal Infirmary, between Argyle Street and Gladstone Street, opposite Bean Street.
Colin Dews points out that it has been claimed that this was the first Primitive Methodist gothic chapel. Suffering war time bomb damage, it was repaired after the war but soon closed.