Hull Clowes Primitive Methodist chapel

Jarratt Street

Hull Jarratt Street Primitive Methodist chapel
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1902/420
Hull Clowes Primitive Methodist chapel and institute
Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1920; Englesea Brook Museum

Hull Clowes Primitive Methodist chapel in Jarratt Street was a huge and expensive building, seating 1,400 and costing £7,410. It was designed by William Sissons.

It opened in 1851, the year of William Clowes death, also in Hull where he retired from itinerant ministry.

The chapel was deregistered in 1932 and was used as a storehouse before being demolished in 1965.

It was also known as Kingston Square. Jarratt House stands on the site.

Downloads

A brief hisotry of the church along with pen sketches of ministers who served there; published in 1910

Comments about this page

  • The Builder, vol. 17, iss.,876, page 766, Nov., 19th 1859:
    [A new organ installed recently with total of 604 pipes, 3 composition pedals ].

    Hull, – In Clowes’s Primitive Methodist Chapel, Jarratt-street, Hull, a new organ (etc).
    ……………………………………………………….
    From Ray & Marie.

    By Raymond E. O. Ella (23/08/2021)
  • Hull History Centre (Hull City Archives):

    Ref. L.287.4: 101? Primitive Methodist Annual Conference to be held in Clowes Chapel, Jarratt St., Hull, 16th to 24th, …….., 1920.

    By Ray & Marie (Mr. & Mrs. Ella) (03/07/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *