Northumberland Street chapel was successor to the Ranters’ chapel (officially Spring Street Primitive Methodist Chapel) that once stood between Spring Street and Spring Place and was demolished in the 1840s to allow for Springwood Street to be laid out.
Northumberland Street chapel was on the south side of Northumberland Street, just to the east of Lord Street. The entrance was in what is now Primitive Street (then Chapel Street). Street View in 2008 shows a big office block on the site; by 2012 it has been cleared and is in use as a car park.
The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1847 by John North Esq. of New House, followed by an addressed given by the Rev. John Verity of Barnsley. The new chapel seated 400.