Hunslet Woodhouse Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel

The 1940 statistical return places the chapel in the Leeds (Joseph Street) Circuit. The chapel is brick built seating 345 in pews. There was one hall and two other rooms. The 1973 return records that the building was erected in 1901. It is now known as Hunslet Methodist Church.

West Yorkshire Archives Services, Leeds branch (former Sheepscar branch library) has the following information about this chapel:

Ref. WYL880 (LC02155): Woodhouse Hill Primitive Methodist Chapel Records (Listed with Leeds South Methodist Unification Records for this reference): Baptisms. Marriages from c.1913-1832, 1933-1983. Trust Minutes 1901-1932, etc. Other documents.

Editor’s note (CH 06/20)

Thanks to Erica Hartley for explaining that the  current (2020) Hunslet Methodist church is a newer building nearby the former Primitive chapel.  It was an amalgamation in the early 1980’s of 3  Hunslet Methodist Churches  including Woodhouse Hill.

There is a photo of the back of the former Primitive chapel on the Leodis Website, which is a local old photograph website. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=8740

The building is no longer there, and there are houses on the site now.  A lot of that area changed when the M621 was created.

 

Comments about this page

  • The Builder, vol. 93, iss. 3365, page 151, August 12th, 1907 :
    August 3rd.
    Hunslet, -HEATING- The Trustees of the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hunslet, Leeds, invite tenders for the heating of the chapel and schoolroom.

    By Raymond E. O. Ella (24/08/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *