Jubilee Sabbath school and preaching room

Princess Street, Weirhead, Attercliffe Road

Cornelius Leigh writes:

“The corner-stone of a Jubilee Sabbath-school and preaching-room was laid on Monday afternoon, November 5th, 1860, by Alderman Fawcett, in the presence of a very large assembly. The members, scholars, and friends met at Stanley Street Chapel, and went in procession to Princess Street, Weirhead, Attercliffe Road, the locality in which the Sabbath-school will be erected. After a brief history of the Connexion had been read, and its progress in Sheffield had been stated by the writer of this article, the stone was laid with the usual ceremony. The audience was addressed, and the procession returned to Stanley Street Chapel, where about 450 people sat down to tea gratuitously provided by the ladies.

The platform meeting after was an interesting one. Alderman Fawcett being called to preside, addresses were delivered by the Revs. C. Larom, J. Calvert, B. Grant, B.A., W. Woodward, and C. Leigh. A solemn sense of the Divine presence rested on the meet ing. The proceeds of the day, including the donation of £10 by the gentleman who laid the stone,  amounted to upwards of £47. A copy of what was read, written on  parchment, with a plan of the circuit, and a few coins of the realm, were placed in a bottle, and deposited in the stone. ” Not unto us, 0 Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name be all the glory.”

Where was this and what happened to it?


Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 53


Comments about this page

  • Early O.S. Maps viewed, but not all :
    Princess Street shows a large school, no chapels cited, that street adjacent to Attercliffe Road.
    The first Sheffield trams were horse-drawn and in 1899 electric trams ran on the lines and more tramlines lade in Sheffield until 1960, electric trams reintroduced later.
    On some later O.S. Maps the name Attercliffe Road is a bit obscured by tramlines, but Princess Street not.

    ECO friendly conscious now :
    Should have some cities and towns improved electric trams and trolley buses with heath and safety etc., reducing carbon monoxide, noting electric trolley buses need overhead cables but don’t need a rail track.

    Kind regards, R&M.

    By Ray & Marie. ( Æ ). (12/06/2022)
  • Additional :
    ref. X748, Sheffield (for year 1896), James Melling (1843-1907) one of the founder members of Princess Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel.

    Kind regards, Ray & Marie .

    By Raymond E. O. Ella. ( Æ ). (12/06/2022)
  • Francis Watt’s The Poll for the southern division of the west riding, etc., 1865 (first edition), Sheffield Polling District, page 177, a Samuel Coldwell is listed for Weir Head, Attercliffe Road.*
    *Princess Street adjoins it at one end.

    Sheffield Archives :
    ref. CA206/1307, date 11 March 1868, deposited
    by C. Black. Chapel? Schoolroom, Princess Street, Attercliffe.*
    *any religious denominations not mentioned

    Was Cornelius Leigh referring to a Wesleyan school or did it become one, or attended by all Methodist children?.

    Sheffield Archives :
    ref. AP/136 – ( AP/3/7/9 ), a Plan year 1904, Wesleyan Chapel and? Schoolroom, Princess Street, Sheffield.

    ref. CA657, year 1903, Returns of voluntary teachers schools of Sheffield, to include Wesleyan school, Princess Street.

    ref. MD 7725, Alderman Albert Smith, (1892-1968), of Sheffield, educated Princess Street Wesleyan and Attercliffe Board Schools.

    Kind regards, Ray & Marie.

    By Raymond E.O. Ella. ( Æ ). (12/06/2022)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.