Kippax Primitive Methodist chapel
Kippax Primitive Methodist chapel was opened on 14th July 1833. A barn was purchased and converted into a chapel and cottage with volunteer labour and help from local farmers. The chapel had a gallery across one end and measured 21′(w) x 30′(l).
Opening services were led by William Clowes and J Horsley.
For some reason, the opening is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine twice – by William Clowes first submitted the account to the Primitive Methodist magazine in 1833 and then G W Armitage submitted his account in the 1834 magazine. They essentially give the same information – although Clowes forgets to mention that someone else preached at the opening services, not just him.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1833 p.453
Primitive Methodist magazine 1834 p.72