Woodwards Carpet shop in High Street, Knaresborough trades in the former Knaresborough Primitive Methodist chapel.
This chapel succeeded the 1854 chapel in Briggate
The site was acquired in 1901 and a chapel built seating 350, with a commodious schoolroom, and two dwelling-houses. It cost £4,350. In 1907 an organ was installed costing £390.
The 1901 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us that the Middlesbrough Circuit needed four new chapels, but was held back by debt on the old ones. One was at Knaresborough, led by Rev WA Thoseby. The Circuit was “poor beyond anything we know of”, but help came from Harrogate friends, Mr Hartley and Rev Thoseby’s million penny scheme
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1901 page 953