Leeds Leylands Primitive Methodist chapel
“Byron Street, Leylands, Leeds First Circuit.—
The opening sermons of our new chapel and school at Byron street, Leylands, Leeds, were preached on March 10th, 13th, 17th, 24th, and 31st, 1867, by the Revs. J. Blades, E. Conder, M.A. (Independent), J. Leadley, J. Lee, T. Dearlove, R. McAll (Indepen dent), T. Allen (Wesleyan), and W. Jackson.
A tea was provided gratuitously in the school-room on March 25th, after which a public meeting was held in the chapel, presided over by A. Webster, Esq., who had laid the foundation stone of the building on October 5th, 1866. Addresses were delivered by the Revs. H. Cooke and W. Jackson, W. H. Conyers, Esq., and Mr. J. Parrott. The proceeds of the services, inclusive of the profits of the tea meeting, amounted to £46.
The chapel, both in its interior and exterior, displays good architectural taste and skill, and is a credit and ornament to Primitive Methodism in Leeds. Its dimensions are 42 feet by 24, it has a gallery in front, and will seat 240 persons. It has also a good school-room underneath.
The entire cost of the building is about £580, towards which we have raised £225. We heartily record our gratitude to the generous friends who have so kindly assisted us in the work. To A. Webster, Esq., for £30 ; to W. H. Conyers, Esq., for £15 ; to Mr. Parrott, for £5 ; to Mr. Summerscales for £5 ; to Mr. S. L. Armitage, for £5 ; to Mr. W. Allen, for £5 ; to Mr. J. Tasker, for £5 ; to Mr. Hill, for £3, and to others for donations of £2 and downwards. Much gratitude is also due to Mr. J. Holdsworth, the architect, and to Mr. Thwaite who assisted in superintending the building, whose services were afforded gratuitously.
On the 1891 1:500 Ordnance Survey map, no Methodist chapel is shown in Byron Street, although there is a Baptist chapel at the junction with North Street and a mission hall opposite the junction with Bridge Street. No Primitive Methodist chapel is marked.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1867 pages 428-429