Lepton Primitive Methodist Chapel Huddersfield
This small rural chapel was built in 1835.
This chapel is on the A642 Wakefield Road. Originally it would have been situated between the hamlets of Little and Great Lepton. In 1835 stone was donated for the building. It is likely that the majority of the members at that time would have been employed in the textile industry others being involved in agriculture and coal mining.
Date of closure is unknown but a larger chapel was opened in 1937 lower down the main road. After extensive housing development in the area this building ceased to be adequate and in 1994 a new community church was built in the middle of the village.
The small Primitive Methodist Chapel is now a private dwelling.
Photos taken September 2014
OS Map Ref:110:SE206135