Little Smeaton Primitive Methodist chapel

Quarry Lane, Pontefract

Little Smeaton Primitive Methodist chapel

Despite the difficulty of not having the prospect of obtaining either land or money, the members of the Primitive Methodist society in Little Smeaton actively campaigned to raise over £20 plus the land , sand and stone. B Rowley and his lady gave the land, stone and a generous donation.  Messrs Watts, Crossley, Appleyard and G Yarborough were generous.

The chapel opened from September 22nd 1844 and preachers included Rev J Rawson, W Bland, J Bastow and Cheesman

The new chapel measured 16′ x 22′ and cost around £100. G Bagley reported the opening

The 1890 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel at the junction of Main Street with Quarry Lane.  It’s not shown on the map a decade later.  On its one visit in 2009 Street View  missed the location.


Primitive Methodist magazine 1845 page 225

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.