Lockington P M Chapel East Yorkshire
This chapel was built in 1862 supposedly replacing an earlier one of 1825
In 1862 a piece of land was acquired from J.Hall Esq. of Scarborough and in that year a chapel was built and opened. It cost £250 and incurred a debt of £50. In 1913 an extension was added which may have become the main worship space.
Sometime in 1977 the chapel roof collapsed after which the chapel was left to rot and decay. This is how it was in 2009 – in a very sorry state (see photos)
In 2012 the chapel building was sold and after numerous planning problems permission was granted to turn it into a three bedroom dwelling. In 2013 work had begun.
Photos taken 2009 and 2013
OS Map ref:106:SE994476
Additional information (CH):
“Lackington, (sic) Driffield Circuit.— Lackington is a pleasant village, situated about midway between Beverley and Driffield. Primitive Methodism was introduced into it many years ago, and with God’s blessing upon the labours of his servants many of the inhabitants were awakened and saved ; a society was raised, but for want of a suitable place of worship the cause was materially retarded ; and numerous unsuccessful efforts were made to obtain a suitable plot of ground on which to erect a chapel.
The recently improved state of the society, congregation, and Sabbath school, demanding a larger and more commodious place of worship, “we determined to make another effort, and application was made to the proprietor of the property in which we worshipped, who agreed to sell us a piece of land, 40 feet long by 18 wide, for the sum of £60. We considered the price very high, especially as the society and congregation belonged to the working classes. But we adopted Nehemiah’s resolution, “The God of heaven, he will prosper us, therefore we his servants will arise and build.”
Having obtained the sanction of the quarterly meeting, &c, the land was purchased, and on Wednesday, August 20th, 1862, the foundation stone was laid by our venerable and long tried friend, Mr. P. Knaggs, of Wetwang ; after which a very appropriate and telling address was delivered by the Rev. W. Mitchell, Independent minister. At 4 o’clock a tea meeting was held, and a public meeting followed. Brother Stather was called to the chair, and the meeting was addressed by Brothers W. Stabler, E. Tyos, T. Giles, W. Coulson, and W. Mitchell. The services were well attended, and told well on the public. The proceeds, amounted to £17 or £18.
This is the fifth new chapel that has been erected in this station within the last few years, besides a new school room ; other chapels have been considerably improved, and the debts lowered, &c. Preparations are now being made to erect a new chapel in another place, and establish a day school ; and as our camp meetings for this season have been attended with unusual unction and power, and many precious souls have been brought to God, we are hoping the revival influence will descend upon every part of the circuit. Thomas Giles.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1863 page 111-112