Lund Primitive Methodist Chapel East Yorkshire 1871

Lockington Road, Driffield YO25 9TG

Lund is nine miles south west of Driffield and in 2013 the Methodist church is part of the Driffield Circuit.

This chapel was built in 1871 and is still open for worship today April 2013

It has been recorded that when the chapel opened one thousand people sat down to tea. This seems quite amazing as this increased the population of the village for a short time by over five hundred!

There are only seven members today April 2013.

The exterior photos were taken in May 2009

The interior photos were taken in April 2013 (courtesy of the Knit and Natter Group)

OS Map ref:106:SE971481

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist magazine for February 1872 (pp.121-122) contains an account by T Newsome of the opening of the chapel from September 29th 1871.
    Preachers included Revs W and Mrs Harland, C Kendall, P Milson, F Rudd, J Wood, T Waumsley, W Robinson; also H Hodge, Messrs Richardson, H Evans, C Williamson, , G Bullock, W Petch, and W Dawson.
    The new chapel seated 220 and there was space for a school room. A Celebration tea was provided for for 1,200 people!

    By Christopher Hill (13/02/2019)
  • Architect of this 2nd chapel, 1871, attributed to W. Petch of  Middleton

    By Colin Dews (02/03/2018)
  • It replaced an earlier chapel, built in 1839.

    By Jill Barber (17/10/2013)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *