Market Weighton Primitive Methodist Church, Yorkshire
built 1828, 1860 and 1902
The first Primitive Methodist Chapel in Market Weighton was built in 1828. In 1851 it had an average attendance, at both morning and evening services, of 140 people.
A second Chapel was built in 1860, and by 1892 the Primitive Methodists also owned the Temperance Hall (built in 1841) which was used for lectures.
Form the date stone, the chapel in the photograph was built in 1902.
notes added 12/17 and 1/18 CH:
The foundation stone for the 1860 chapel was laid on Thursday November 3rd 1859 by Miss Hodge, her father, Henry Hodge of Hull having given his permission for her to do it. She was the granddaughter of William Simpson of North Cave who built the first Yorkshire Primitive Methodist chapel. The congregation met in the Temperance Hall and sang their way to to new site.
Taking part were Rev HE Daivies (Independent), Rev H Knowles, Rev T Greenbury (Hull), Mr M’Cullock, Revs W Whitby, S Birch. The account in the Primitive Methodist magazine was written by Henry Knowles.
Five months later Henry Knowles described the opening. Ceremonies, including tea for 400 in the Temperance Hall, started on March 4th 1860. Speakers included Revs.W.Whitby, H. Knowles, E.H. Davies, R. Bell, and Mr. F. Brough, Rev. J. Dodsworth (Malton), H. J. M’Culloch (York), E. H. Davies, (Independent) and Rev. R. Bell (Wesleyan minister), from Hull.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1860 pages 48-49
Primitive Methodist magazine June1860 pages 48-49