Marske Primitive Methodist chapel

Marske Primitive Methodist chapel  in the Guisborough circuit was opened from October 31st 1858 and there is an account by SG Butterwick in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1859. Speakers at the opening services, and tea meeting for 160 held in Mr Hall’s barn, were Rev H Hebbron of Potto, W Lothian (Independent) of Redcar and W Sudlow.

Special thanks were due to Earl of Zetland for his kindness and liberality in leasing land for 99 years at three-halfpence per yard. The site included an old cottage in which their services had previously been held. This was taken down for the new chapel to be built. J Pease was thanked for his donation, and various friends for their support.

The chapel which measured 30′ in length by 17′ in width accommodated 120 people, cost about £90 , of which they had raised £40.

Does anyone know where the chapel was and what happened to it?


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1859 p.112

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.