Middlesbrough Richmond Street Primitive Methodist chapel

In the nineteenth century, Middlesbrough experienced an amazing industrial transformation that was a challenge to the Primitive Methodists.  In 1829, there was only one house; by the early 1840s the population was six thousand.

The first meeting place for Primitive Methodists in Middlesbrough was the “shell” of a chapel in Davison’s Yard in Dacre Street.  Two rooms of a cottage were made into one and an annual rent of £6 was paid.  The West Street Unitarian chapel was occupied after that and in 1841 the Richmond Street chapel was built.  This was to be the scene of glorious revivals.

John Graham describes the opening and the circumstances around it in the attached document.  It is taken from the 1843 Primitive Methodist magazine and transcribed by David Tonks.

Richmond Street chapel was used for nearly fifty years and then the chapel in Linthorpe Road was erected, during the ministry of Rev. R.G.Graham.

Richmond Street still exists, now in an industrial estate.  The chapel was formerly located on the west side of the street, just north of the junction with South Street/Sussex Street Stockton Street

Further information about this chapel can be found in this Centenary Celebration article in the Primitive Methodist Magazine 1907.


Primitive Methodist magazine May 1843 page 177-179



account of the opening of Middlesbrough Richmond Street chapel, transcribed by David Tonks from the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1843 page 177-179

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.