Newport Primitive Methodist society in the North Cave Circuit was a poor society that could not afford a chapel until three brothers from the village who had made good made a generous gift. The Walmsley brother formed JW and B Walmsley of Leeds and made their money in housing development.
On condition that the site was provided, a Sunday school adjoining built and the cost of land and school covered to within £100 in six months of completion, the brothers built a commodious and beautiful chapel and gave in to the Connexion.
The 1909 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel immediately to the west of the school on Main Road. By the 1970 and 1980 maps the building is still there but unlabelled.
On Street View in 2011 it has been replaced by an extension to the school.
Primitive Methodist magazine February 1892 page 123