Newton le Willows Primitive Methodist chapel
Brompton Road, Bedale DL8 1SG
“We have just opened a beautiful little chapel at Newton-le Willows, at the western extremity of the circuit. The sermons were preached on March 23rd and 30th, 1856, by Messrs. Johnson, of Cleasby; Dale, of Learning; and Simpson, of Thirsk. A tea-meeting was held in a booth erected for the occasion, on the 31st, which was well attended, and, together with the public meeting afterwards, gave great satisfaction….
To Mrs. Jackson, of Ainderby Myers, and Mrs. T. Braithwaite, of Brakehall, for special aid in “getting up” the tea-meeting,….we tender our grateful acknowledgments. “
This description was written by John Simpson in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1856. He was optimistic about the future as the lack of a chapel had limited the growth of the society.
The Primitive Methodist chapel in Brompton Road, Newton le Willows carries the later date 1896. The 1892 Ordnance Survey map shows the Primitive Methodist chapel on the same site, but with a smaller footprint. It is still labelled as Methodist church in 1972 but on Google Street View in 2016 shows it in use as a house. Can anyone provide a photograph?
OS Grid Ref. SE2157089572
Primitive Methodist magazine May 1856 p.309