North Dalton Primitive Methodist chapel
South End, North Dalton YO25 9UT
From the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1867
“Foundation Stone Laying, North Dalton, Driffield Circuit.—The above stone was laid on Good Friday, April 19th, 1867. The day was very fine ; it seemed as a day sent by God to smile on and aid our design. A large number of people gathered. After singing, reading the Scriptures, and prayer, C Kendall presented Miss M. A. Frenby, of Scarborough, with a beautiful silver trowel and she proceeded to lay the stone ; this was done in a very deliberate and orderly manner ; after which, liberal gifts were placed on the stone by Miss Frenby, and several other friends, young and old, and short addresses were delivered.
A bazaar was opened the same day in the old chapel. Its contents evidenced that clear heads, warm hearts, and nimble fingers had been at work. The bazaar far exceeded our expectations. A social tea was also provided. This was of a very bounteous character ; between four and five hundred sat down ; the tea was gratuitously provided by our liberal friends. In the evening a public meeting was held in the Wesleyan Chapel ; Mr. J. Edmonson took the chair, and short addresses were given by Messrs. C. Kendall, A. Johnson, T. Waumsly, G. Parker, and J. Booth. The chapel will cost about £250, and we obtained on this day about £70. We feel our obligations to our many and warm-hearted friends. Our financial prospect is very good, and we trust what was so auspiciously commenced will finish in the same way, and our new house be honoured by the abiding presence of the Saviour.”
Ordnance Survey maps show a Primitive Methodist chapel at the eastern end of South End, opposite the old Post Office. It disappears between 1910 and 1976. There is a garage on the site in Street View (undated).
Primitive Methodist magazine of 1867 pages 429-430