Rawmarsh, Dale Road, Primitive Methodist Chapel

Rotherham District, Yorkshire

Englesea Brook Museum [ENBPM:2013.026]

The society in Rawmarsh dates from 1840, meeting in Mr Holloway’s house until 1847 when a new chapel holding 160 was built. {This was reported with some detail in the January 1848 Primitive Magazine by Thomas Morgan. The ceremonies took place from November 3rd 1847} By the late 1850s this was too small so they planned a new one seating 400 with a S school for 200.

Preachers at the foundation stone laying on October 22nd 1860 included Revs. J. Haigh, J. 8. Lucas and J. Vaughan (Independent). The foundation stone was laid by Mr. L. Holliday, of Rawmarsh,

John Haigh writes: “A bottle was placed in a cavity of the stone, in which was put documents and papers respecting the circuit, the rise and progress of the Connexion, with a copy of the Minutes of the last Conference.”


Primitive Methodist magazine January 1848 page 54

Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 52

Comments about this page

  • The opening of the chapel (which measured 42′ x 36′) and schoolroom is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of August 1861 by John Haigh. The total cost was £500, of which they had raised £222,  including a donation from John Charlesworth.

    Preachers at the opening from April 14th 1861 were Revs. C. Lace, J. Vaughan (Independent), R. Robinson, and J.Haigh.

    By Christopher Hill (10/04/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.