Richmond PM Chapel, North Yorkshire

July 2013
David Noble
July 2013
David Noble
July 2013
David Noble

Wesleyan Methodists had built their second chapel in Richmond (in 1841), superseding one built in 1807, before the Primitive Methodists had formed a society in the town. Leary records the appointment of Primitive Methodist ministers in the town from 1855, but the Primitive Methodist chapel that was constructed in Bargate, just off the town centre, is said to have been built in either 1861 (according to Bulmer) or 1863 (Victoria County History).

Bulmer describes the chapel as “a small plain building, with Sunday school attached” and says that it cost “about £500”. The capacity of the chapel is given as 260, although the 1940 Methodist Church Buildings Statistical Returns say that it seated 158.

Leary records ministerial appointments at Richmond from 1855 through to 1932. However, it seems that post-Union the former Primitive Methodist chapel ceased to be used by the Methodist Church. In 1947, the premises started to be used by the Richmond Operatic Society as a rehearsal venue and storage facility, a function that the building continues to perform today.



William Leary, Primitive Methodist Circuits (1980, Chester), p.308

Thomas Bulmer, Bulmer’s History and Directory of North Yorkshire 1890 (1890, Preston)

Victoria County History, ‘The borough of Richmond’, A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 1 (1914), pp. 17-35

Methodist Church, Methodist Church Buildings – Statistical Returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st, 1940 (Manchester: Department for Chapel Affairs, 1947)

Comments about this page

  • John Vaughan describes the actual opening in the 1861 September magazine (pages 557-558). Celebrations included a tea for 230 and various services. Speakers included Revs. J. Hirst (Wesleyan), J.Tucker (Wesleyan), H. Oakley (Independent), and P. C. Clarke (of South Shields). J. Vaughan; Mr.  Jackson, of Ainderley Myers, Rev. W. Lister, of Stockton and Rev. H. Oakley.

    The new chapel was lighted by chandelier and included a schoolroom. It cost £430 of which they had raised £180. The land was obtained from Lord Zetland, the contractors were Pybus and Whitehead, of Coverdale and the windows were given by Mr. Joseph Fawcett, of Sunderland.

    By Christopher Hill (11/04/2018)
  • I can confirm that the foundation stone was laid on December 11th 1860. It rained. John Vaughan tells us about it in the Primitive Methodist magazine (March 1861 pages 171-172).

    Land was obtained from Earl of Zetland and  plans drawn by Mr Copping of London. The specifications were prepared by John Vaughan, with the help of Mr. J. Lambert, of Bristol; Messrs. Pybus and Whitehead, of Coverdale were the contractors.

    The stone was laid by G. A. Robinson, of Reeth. Tea for 300 was provided in the Town Hall by  Mesdames Fawcett, Pearson, Barker, Parkin, Rhodes, Bowe, Whitfield, and Dutchburn, and the Misses Lesley, Metcalf, M. Bowe, J. Bowe, and Mr. Miller. Preachers at the celebrations were Revs. J. Tucker, J. Hirst (Wesleyans), H. Oakley (Independent), W. Fulton and J. Vaughan (Primitives), and Mr.W. Bell (Temperance Missionary).

    By Christopher Hill (26/03/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.