Gargrave Road Primitive Methodist chapel replaced the earlier (1835) Bridge Street chapel in 1878-79. It was a huge building: the Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns report that as at July 1st 1940, the chapel seated 700 in pews. There were three schoolrooms and 12 other rooms. The architect was Thomas Howdill of Leeds.
The chapel is shown on the 1891 1:500 OS map
and on the 1969-1970 1:2500
but not on the 1979-1986 edition
An aerial view of chapel
The chapel is towards the top of the picture on the vertical centre-line – it is seen nearly end-on; nearest the camera is its very tall brightly-lit gable-end, to the left of an open space.
It was demolished in the 1970s and there are now flats on its site
Grid ref SD987517
You can read about the 1835 Bridge Street chapel here.
[editor’s note (CH): Thanks to GW Oxley, Howard Richter and Colin Dews for unscrambling the story of the Skpton chapels. Read the comments here for the full story.]