Sowerby Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel
Sowerby Bridge Primitive Methodist chapel is referred to in the 1858 Primitive Methodist magazine. John Jobling writes to share that the society needed more room for the Sunday school so it enlarged the schoolroom by adding a cottage. They also boarded the floor, cleaned and painted the chapel and added a large gas light in the centre of the ceiling.
Three years later they were at it again. Gaining 20 new members in February 1860 and continuing lack of room for the Sunday school meant they enlarged the chapel further in late 1860. A Worsnip tells us that more than enough money was raised through a tea meeting chaired by John Crossley, Esq. (Halifax). Speakers included Rev. A. Hall (Independent), A Worsnop and D Clay
The 1890 1:1500 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the south west side of Sowerby New Road , just north of its junction with Sowerby Street and south of Westfield House – approximately where the Telephone Exchange is. It is labelled as seating 600 so was a substantial size – larger than the 1858 description implies.
Who was involved with this chapel? What happened to it?
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1858 page 562
Primitive Methodist magazine March 1861 page 171