The Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1860 tells us of the laying of the foundation stone for Stannington Wood End Primitive Methodist chapel.
The ceremony took place on March 12th 1860 and the account was written by Robert Parks.
We know the chapel was in the Sheffield First circuit, but what happened to it?
On the 1905 Ordnance Survey map there is a Primitive Methodist chapel marked on Stannington Road, just west of the Anvil Inn in an area where several streets include the name Wood End . The 1923 and 1937 maps show the Wood End coal and ganister mine behind the chapel. The chapel was a substantial size with a bigger footprint than the Anvil.
Primitive Methodist magazine for June 1860 pages 360-361