The laying of the foundation stone of Stillington Primitive Methodist chapel in the Easingwold Branch of the York circuit. is recorded in the 1866 Primitive Methodist magazine. It was written by A McKechnie who was one of the collectors and donors, along with Captain McCulloch (York), W Mowatt (York), Rev J Flescher (Easingwold), W Teasdale (Easingwold), W Clack, R Young and Miss Bosomworth.
Rev J Petty laid the stone on land that was generously given by James Meek, Lord Mayor of York. Building the chapel, which was to accommodate 100, was expected to cost £100.
A Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1866 at the junction of Carr Lane and High Street.
The chapel closed soon after Methodist union in 1932. The Community Archive website tells us that after closing it became a cycle repair depot operated by Mr.Morse. During the 1939/45 War it was used to store waste newspapers for the war effort.
The building was pulled down after the 1939-45 War in order to widen the road junction.
Stillington Community Archive website, accessed 31 March 2019 at http://www.stillingtoncommunityarchive.org/chapels.asp
Primitive Methodist magazine September 1866 page 561