Swinefleet Primitive Methodist chapel
replacing a chapel that was "too small, inconvenient and unsafe": DN14 8DE
The Primitive Methodist magazine for September 1854 contains an account by Henry Knowles of the laying of the foundation stone at Swinefleet Primitive Methodist chapel on the 26th July 1854. It was needed to replace the previous chapel that was too small, inconvenient and unsafe and was the third Primitive chapel in the village, the first one opening in 1824. The stone laid was actually the inscription stone from the first 1824 chapel.
The service involved Rev J Dawson (Howden) and Henry Knowles, and the stone was laid by J Little of Swinefleet, with Captain Moody of Goole. The celebrations included a procession and a tea where the same leaders spoke, with the addition of R Drucker.
In January 1855 there is a further account from Henry Knowles of the chapel opening which took place from Sunday, October 22nd, 1854. Speakers at the meetings included T. Penrose from Halifax, H. Knowles of Swinefleet, J. Dodsworth from Bradford, W. Harland from Tadcaster, J. Dawson from Howden, Mr. J. Little, who occupied the chair when he largest number sat down to tea ever known in this village, H. Knowles, R. Ducker, J. Dawson, and W. Harland.
On the Ordnance Survey 1:2,500 map of 1890, a Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on the junction of Low Street and Common Piece and in a similar area on the 1:10,560 map of 1853-5, although the location is less precise on the smaller scale. Was this the site of the 1854 chapel?
On Google Street View in 2009 the site is occupied by a bungalow.
Primitive Methodist Magazine September 1854 562-563
Primitive Methodist Magazine January 1855 pp.42-43