Scholes Primitive Methodist chapel
17 White Wells Rd, Scholes, Holmfirth HD9 1TB
The laying of the foundation stone at Scholes Primitive Methodist chapel is recorded in the Primitive Methodist magazine of November 1860. The ceremony took place on July 30th 1860.
The land was given by Mr. Hezekiah Haigh, of Scholes. Charles Bhodes, Esq., of Bradford laid the stone. Messrs. Ehodes and Snowdon each baptized a child on the foundation-stone, and the Rev. H.Hatherley prayed. Preachers included Mr. James Blackburn, of Huddersfield, Rev. J. Fearn (Wesleyan).
The celebrations included tea for 134 in the Wesleyan chapel at Jackson Bridge.
There were two more teas when the chapel actually opened. Opening celebrations started on March 14th 1861. Preachers included Rev. J. S. Workman, Wesleyan, of Huddersfield, Rev. R.Willan, Independent, of Holmfirth, Rev. J. Baldwin, of Dewsbury, Rev. R. Baxter, Rev. T. W. Holmes, of Holmfirth, Mr. S. Glendenning, Messrs. G. Dearnley, W. Holmes, J. Castle, J. Beavers, H. Hatherley, J. Snowdon, and R. Baxter.
Significant donors included Mr. H. Haigh who gave the land, J. North, Esq., Mr. J. Blackburn, Mr. G. Mitchell, Mr. J. Hardy, gave slates.
The new chapel cost £266 of which £141 had been raised; it seated 200. It was “well spouted”.
The chapel is still active in 2018.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1860 page 692
Primitive Methodist magazine June 1861 pages 365-366